Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Traps in the Pages

Apparently, there are just so many things agents can tolerate before they put your pages away, and out of their minds, forever. They have been so kind as to share the most irritating openings with us, the authors. 


Lan and I have compiled a few of the 'traps' that we are diligently avoiding in our first pages. We do NOT want our stories to become casualties in the trash file.

NO dreams-this offers the reader a fake sense of the reality of the book an they can feel cheated when the dream ends and the story begins.

NO mirror contemplation- "I looked into the mirror, toothbrush hanging from my mouth, and was horrified to see that I had a black eye. My normal glowing complexion was marred by nicks and scratches. My sky blue eyes were dulled to a meager grey and my long silky tresses were missing. I was completely bald."

Which leads into NO getting up in the morning. No one cares that the character hits the snooze button or needs coffee right away.

Do NOT characterize by using items of clothing-either holy, or expensive, promiscuous, or tame. 'She pulled on her *insert expensive shoes here* and click clacked out the door.'

Absolutely do NOT write a prologue. Make it the first chapter if it really has to be there, otherwise cut it. I found I have to do this. I tend to write the first chapter for myself anyway-just to get the ball rolling. It doesn't really belong in the book.

NO long drawn out explanations-if the facts must be presented right now, then find a way to do it through action or dialogue. 

No one cares about the weather. Ever.

NO common characters-give them someone who is uncommon.

Do NOT start out 'on a sleepy little town where nothing ever happens' because there is no story there!

But, do NOT use tricks and scandalous actions just to get attention.




1 comment:

  1. Remember folks the hard reality of submitting your work to an agent is, you are not the only one. They receive thousands of queries every week and they don't get paid reading queries. So, that makes them very busy indeed. When they begin to read your material, they have to want to continue reading. Your first pages has to wow them.

    ReplyDelete