Monday, July 14, 2014

Putting Off Procrastination.....

....is what I really should be doing. 

I have made a cup of coffee, updated my calendar, checked future travel plans (hello, WLT retreat!), did a load of laundry, made another cup of coffee, sent some text messages, Edmodoed my students and updated my Facebook status.

It was about beer-had some fun at a local brewery this weekend-but it should have been an excited post about how I was soooo close to finishing my manuscript I can taste it. But it wasn't, because I'm not. Close that is.
http://www.thewriteratwork.com/site/archives008.asp

I can taste it-kinda like a sour bile at the back of my throat.

I thought I was close. Like, two chapters to go close.

Then, I had the brilliant idea to outline my story arc for each of my characters and realized I have some gaping holes to fill in.

Why didn't I do this earlier? Did I not learn that making an outline was VERY important in the planning phase?

Well, yes, I did learn that. And I did make an outline. It's just that when I went back to really analyze my characters, I realized that their climaxes are not strong enough. OR maybe its that the 'costs' are not clearly established.

BHA! Either way, I am face with taking a good look at the details of my story and making sure that what is important is thoroughly explained, examined, existentialised-whatever!

This hurts. But, its a good pain. Once I am done, by book will be that much stronger and I will have an even better grasp of the characters and the story.

This way, once its published and I'm famous and people are dying to do interviews with me, I will have some really clever, in depth, awe-inspiring answers for my readers!

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I'm in the process of writing synopsis for each of my chapters and I am finding as well gaps in my story. Like you, thinking I am almost done with my manuscript, I am not almost done.

    ReplyDelete